I’ve seen a lot of charity auctions on eBay this month, but I’ve never seen one like this! This charity auction is a little different. Instead of bidding on one-of-of-kind collectible, you’ll also be bidding on a chance to have naming rights to a main Slam Bolt Scrappers video game character! I have a lot of respect for gamers who create charity auctions, and this auction is working towards Child’s Play, in which 100% of the auction winnings help donate toys and games to childrens’ hospitals around the world as well as funding pediatric health research.
For those who don’t know about Slam Bolt Scrappers, it’s an indie PlayStation Network video game by Fire Hose Games. This is the first title by the company, and if you visit Slam Bolt Scrappers official web page, it tells you all about the game. Basically it’s a highly competitive game(check video below) of building and brawling! You need to build the towers in Slam Bolt City while defending against enemies and big bosses (I love big bosses! ). You can play with your friends up to 3 people in a co-op game, or you can play online against other gamers. Just looking at the video, and understanding the concept of the game, this will be a great online experience for gamers!
So where would you see the name of your character “if you won” this auction? Well, when the game starts, you will get to choose your character. At this point, you will be able to see your name and all the other millions of players around the world.
However, there are certain guidelines you need to follow before choosing a name. Yup….I know exactly what you were thinking haha! I was a little sad that I wouldn’t be able to take Michael Jackson :). This is what’s written in the auction:
Naming Rules and The Fine Print
You’re ready to bid – great! Here are the rules.
1. You are bidding to name one of the main playable characters in our game. You can see a picture of the 4 characters you can choose from in the pictures gallery. The winner will get to choose which one character to name.
2. If you win, you MUST name your character within 2 weeks of the auction. We have to get the name in game by the end of this period so that the game is ready by our early 2011 release date.
3. No inappropriate names. Sorry, no “Butthead”.
4. No corporate names. Sorry, no “Pepsi McViagra”.
5. No names of famous people (that aren’t you). Sorry, no “Michael Jackson”.
6. No especially long names. We have to fit this name on screen. Please keep names less than 8-10 characters (exceptions can be made if necessary).
7. No names that violate the spirit of Child’s Play.
8. We have veto power over any name submitted. This is really just to cover our asses; if you don’t violate the above rules then the name will almost certainly be approved.
This is a really cool auction. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game company do something like this. It’s also for a great cause. On top of this unique opportunity, you’ll also receive plenty of other goodies including a signed Slam Bolt Scrappers Poster by the development team! Only two in the world exists and one will be auctioned off at another time for Child’s Play charity. You also get a copy of the game, and if you live or are visiting Boston during PAX East, then you get to visit the whole development team at the Fire Hose Games booth!
If any of you are interested in checking this auction out, click here for Slam Bolt Scrapper naming rights auction.
Here’s a game play trailer for the game. Tell me you won’t get addicted to this game and I won’t believe you 🙂 :